UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life and believes that the first five years of a child’s live are the most important for healthy development. These early years are some of the most vulnerable in a child’s life, and positive influences on their health help ensure a good start in life. Close to 16,000 children die every day, this also means 11 children die every minute. Simply because they lack the things, we take for granted, like access to nutritious food, vaccines, and clean water. Simple solutions and supplies can help children reach their 5th birthday.
This is important because children who reach their 5th birthday are in a stronger position to fight future diseases and infections. That is why Ligaia supports UNICEF.
For every tree you buy, Ligaia support UNICEF’s work for child survival with UNICEF’s inspired gifts worth $12. With this amount, UNICEF sends supplies to the world’s most vulnerable children. That will help children get the start in life they deserve.
For $12 UNICEF will send 2 polio vaccines, 1 measles vaccine, 1 tetanus vaccine, 1 mosquito net, 15 packages of life-saving peanut paste to help malnourished children and 400 water purification tablets to ensure clean water.Join us today
Facts about child mortality
- Since 1990 infant mortality has decreased by 53 percent
- 16,000 children under five still die every day
- In Sub-Saharan Africa 1 out of 12 / (1 in 12), children die within five years of age. In developed countries/ (Industrialised countries) 1 out of 147 (1 in 147) die before their 5th birthday
- The most frequent causes of death are diarrhea, pneumonia, and childbirth complications. Malnutrition causes about half of all deaths
- 45 percent of all deaths among children under five occur in the first 28 days after birth.
Source: UNICEF, 2015View Project